Before the awards show even began, we knew who won big at the Grammys—for best hair, that is. Get the looks from the 2012 red carpet with step-by-step instructions from celebrity hairstylists Sura Radcliffe and Andi Scarbrough.
BEST CURLS: Kelly Rowland
SURA RADCLIFFE SAYS:
Kelly’s hair was absolutely on point. What I loved were the various textures, the sleek, slicked-back style with a little finger wave action happening and the almost halo effect of her gorgeous curls in the back. She was radiant!
1. Take a small circle of hair just below the crown, and roll into a bun. Secure with an elastic or two criss-crossed bobby pins to stabilize. This will be used as a base to pin the hair in the back and get the volume you want.
2. Using Pureology Colour Stylist Anti-Breakage Twist ($24 on Ulta.com), rake product through the hair. This will help you maintain some of the texture and give you extra shine.
3. Spray top of hair lightly with Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control Zero Dulling Hairspray ($26 on Ulta.com). Brush the hair back one side at a time with a boar bristle paddle brush until you get the smoothness you are looking for, but be sure to keep some of the texture.
4. Take each side and bobby pin into the “bun” you created earlier. You should be able to secure with up to four bobby pins on each side using a criss-cross effect to make hair super secure.
5. Separate a few curls sparingly with your fingers and twirl them with the Pureology Colour Stylist Anti-Breakage Twist ($24 on Ulta.com).
6. Begin to lightly back comb your hair from underneath to get that undone texture of the curls. Do this until you get the look you’re going for!
7. Finish with a spray of the Pureology Colour Stylist Strengthening Control Zero Dulling Hairspray ($26 on Ulta.com). Shake your head to make sure everything feels like it’s in place. If anything feels loose, secure with a bobby pin.
TIP: If you don’t have curly hair, this look can happen—it will just be slightly more labor-intensive. To get the curls, use a small barrel curling iron, 3/4-inch or so.
Photo credit: fashionfashion.org
-SURA RADCLIFFE & ANDI SCARBROUGH of Byu-Ti Salon, Los Angeles, CA.
Byu-Ti Salon is Santa Monica’s premier hair boutique, catering to some of Hollywood’s most notable manes, including that of Ivanka Trump, Molly Sims and Eva Herzigova. The founder of Byu-Ti Salon, Natasha Sunshine, is known in the Los Angeles and New York City fashion circles for her keen sense of style and unique approach to hair therapy, Natasha not only created a six-step consulting system for helping her staff identify and meet her client’s needs, she has also developed her own seven different hair care products, to supplement the line of top-notch goodies already in use at her salon. When Natasha is not helping people feel fabulous from the inside out, or making herself camera-ready for a television appearance (most recently, The Rachael Ray Show), she is working as an industry leader and educator for L’Oreal’s exclusive hair care line, Pureology.