Valentine’s Day Chocolate Dos and Don’ts

1 2 3

Milk Chocolate in Moderation.

Milk chocolate and other “infused” chocolates like truffles and caramel chocolates can taste delicious, and in moderation, are yummy desserts. But they should not be considered high on the health-scale. Often the percent of cocoa in these confections is under 20% and the remaining 80% is the bad-for-you butter and sugar, or worse, processed saturated fats like fractioned palm kernel oil or hydrogenated oils.

You’ll also find preservatives and other ingredients that are detrimental to your health but help the chocolate’s shelf life. Avoid these high-processed products and always read the ingredients of packaged chocolate to see if you can pronounce everything. If it has five syllables and sounds like a chemistry textbook, put it back on the shelf.

Sees Candies, Godiva and more are known to use these no-no ingredients, so make sure to read those box labels! Whole Foods has a wide selection of better grade chocolates, and if you’re feeling green, take a look at this list of Fair Trade organic chocolate options.

If you want to be creative for your Valentine and also health-aware, check out these 20 Surprisingly Healthy Chocolate Recipes on FitSugar or visit the healthy choices section of Choccreate.com, a site that does made-to-order chocolate bars.

Happy Valentine’s Day! Enjoy your sweetie and have a sweet without the guilt!

GIRL TALK TIME: Will you indulge in milk chocolate this Valentine’s Day? Or will you stick with dark chocolate for the health benefits? What is your absolute favorite kind of chocolate that you’ll eat no matter how many calories it is?

11 Comments

Post a Comment

Give Us Your Opinion!

Post a comment as a guest or join now for great rewards!

  •