The holidays are upon us which means new flavored lattes at Starbucks, neighbors competing for tackiest light display awards, TV ad nauseam from cheap mall jewelers, and invitations or lack thereof to midnight New Year’s Eve kissing fests. Merry freaking holidays.
There is no denying that the holidays, when single, bring about a…how shall we say…ache in the heart like no other time of year (save for wedding season). Cheer seems to be reserved for the coupled-up, leaving us single-hearted honeys feeling left for the bottom of Santa’s wish list.
But here’s the thing—we’ve spent the holidays cuddled up beside a special someone and we’ve spent them by our sweet selves, and we can tell you that the latter doesn’t suck as you may be anticipating. That is, if you make the most of it!
Here’s how you can beat those holiday-time single gal blues and frolic in the merriment of the holidays:
1. Count your blessings! Sure, a blue Tiffany box under the tree is not in this year’s cards for you, but we’re sure that if you stop and think, you can come up with a long list of things to be thankful for and celebratory over. Think long and hard about all of your unique blessings (including NOT being with the wrong guy) and toast to each one!
2. Buy an indulgent gift for yourself. If we count up all the cash we’ve wasted on boyfriends of the past (not to mention all the dough they spent buying us crap we didn’t want), we’d be rich! This year, it’s time to treat yourself to the gift you’ve always wanted! Whether you can wear it, eat it, sit on it or play with it, don’t skimp on your gift because one thing we know for sure is that you deserve to be spoiled.
3. Volunteer. Nothing takes you out of a holiday funk like helping someone else and the holiday season is bubbling over with opportunities to lend a hand! Serve up a hot meal at a local soup kitchen, wrap toys for the kids of our soldiers, or even offer your babysitting services to a family member or neighbor in need. Put your love out there and you will be sure to get a dose back in time!
4. Get crafty. Nothing says holidays like homemade crafts, so bust out your glitter, glue and construction paper and get to work! Flex those creative muscles on clever cards, adorable ornaments, yummy cookies or fun napkin rings. No matter what you create, we are sure you will have fun doing it!
5. Say “yes” to party invites! Singles often debate whether or not to attend holiday events solo. We say “Absolutely!” Instead of stressing you’ll be the only one without a date or what to say to those in shock and horror that you’re “still single,” expend your energy on finding a fabulous party dress and use parties as opportunities to meet someone new!
6. O.D. on forbidden foods. In our opinion, if you aren’t weighing in a few pounds heavier on January 1st, you’ve not lived the holiday season to its fullest. So go ahead, give yourself permission to have a round two at the Thanksgiving table, eat an Advent calendar, say “yes please!” to a double helping of bread pudding. You’ve got all of next year to work it off!
7. Get sparkly. We love love LOVE holiday fashion—especially anything that sparkles! Just because you’re single doesn’t mean you can’t sparkle, too! Stock up your wardrobe with fun sparkling items for your closet like a sequin beret, Dorothy-style ballet flats or a fabulous metallic clutch. We guarantee that when you sparkle on the outside, you can’t help but sparkle on the inside, too.
8. Decorate, girlie style. Only the fabulously single girl can get away with a pink tree, so this is the year to girl-ify your holiday decorations! Turkey statuettes with lipstick? Check! Minnie mouse ornaments? Duh! Heart-shaped fruitcakes? Why not?! Go girlie this year because you never know when a boy will invade your life—turning your hot-pink tree into a dull green with a choo-choo around it.
9. Host a fabulous soiree! Don’t wait for party invites! Host your own shindig instead. Invite all your fab friends or just make it a ladies night in, complete with holiday tunes, a gift exchange and, of course, sweet treats galore. Don’t forget the cranberry-infused cocktails!
10. Tap into your inner kid. Remember when you were a kid and the holidays meant everything?! You were giddy and excited, couldn’t sleep, and lived for hot cocoa and long days in the snow. Well, just because you’re a “grown-up” now, doesn’t mean you have to forgo the kid-like fun. Build a snowman, decorate a gingerbread house and watch cheesy Christmas movies. Too G-rated for you? Put a spin on kid time fun by spiking your snow cone with a little rum—that’s sure to make you feel festive!
-Tristan Coopersmith & Janis Gaudelli, Founders of The BreakUP Club
The BreakUP Club is a female-owned and operated organization dedicated to female empowerment and helping women feel, heal and seal the hurt of heartbreak. The organization is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA and offers local workshops, national online workshops, private one-on-one sessions and teleseminars. For more information, visit break-upclub.com.
GIRL TALK TIME: What do you think of these tips? Are you single this holiday season?