Happy 10th birthday to Shecky’s (have you checked out our amazing deals and more?)! In honor of the awesome party attitude that goes along with a b-day and our love for Fridays, we’re bringing you a TOP 10 AT 10AM every Friday.
I don’t know about you ladies, but after a summer of (birthday) partying, I’m pretty beat now that it’s officially fall. So, I was psyched to learn that September 18-24 is National Turn Off Week (happening now!). This holiday was made with turning off your TV in mind, but I advise powering down your iPhones, iPads, iPods, all gadgets…and really zenning out this weekend! Here are 10 suggestions for doing so.
1. Work out, outside! Since it’s no longer, like, 7,000 degrees Fahrenheit in most states, a brisk jog outdoors will do your body good. Leave the iPod out of it and just allow yourself to THINK for once. See tips for working out outdoors here!
2. Curl up with a good book. If colder weather makes you want to stay inside, go on and do it! Pick up an old-school paperback you love or see some of our favorite books with female protagonists, and read. I advocate using old-school, REAL books instead of Kindles in this case. You can take notes and dog-ear your fave stuff!
3. Indulge in at-home spa treatments. For a completely calming experience, bask in a beauty day that’s all about Y-O-U and feeling fabulous. Peep some of our fave products for an at-home spa party here.
4. Write it out. I don’t know about you, but sometimes journaling or just writing a list is kinda like therapy for me. So, tune everything out and break out the old notebooks and pens (remember those?). Start a diary where you write down just one sentence/day (easy-peasy, right?) or make a list about something that’s bothering you (ahem, 100 reasons why your ex sucks); heck, write an all-out rant. Get it out there!
5. Redecorate. If the weather looks like rain this weekend, spend it indoors redecorating your abode! Chances are you’ve neglected your interior space with all those outdoor summer distractions. See our DIY decorating sugs for every room.
6. Explore your hometown—WITHOUT a GPS. Yes, I’m talking the old “right, left, right” game I used to play back in high school before the advent of smart phones and GPSes. Set out in your car or by foot and just GO. Or, bring an old-school map and challenge yourself to figure it out (no cheating!). For cool ways to make your hometown feel new, go here.
7. Bond with your boo. September is Pleasure Your Mate Month, so stop putting work emails before your relationship and get between the sheets. Have a completely lazy, sexy day with your signif-o. Get some romantic, relaxing ideas here!
8. Play a board game. Feel like a carefree kid again when you crack out old games (Candyland, Scrabble…) or check out some of these great board games for grown-ups.
9. Go on a fun fall date. It’s officially autumn as of today, so take advantage of seasonal activities like pumpkin picking, haunted houses, hiking to see fall foliage…. See all fall date ideas here.
10. Watch football sans distractions. Oh, not a fan, are you? The food indulgences alone are pretty worth it (hey, it’s Sunday FUNday for a reason, give that diet a day off!). Power off your smart phone to pay better attention to every call. So, this one does involve a TV, but we’ll let it slide! Psst! Get great tailgate party ideas here.
GIRL TALK TIME: What are you up to this weekend? How do you relax sans technology? What do you think of our suggestions?