Lifestyles of the rich and famous make it hard for us to imagine celebrities as anything other than…well, celebrities! But we were able to dig up a little dirt on some of our favorite superstars to see what they did before getting their 15 minutes. It’s a nice reminder that everyone starts off small.
1. Before she was the adoring Idol judge, Paula Abdul sang a different tune, rooting for the Lakers as a Lakers girl.
2. The face-painted front man of KISS, Gene Simmons, was loyal to black and white from the tender age of 13. He was a newspaper delivery boy before making it big.
3. While we can’t imagine ever hanging up on our beloved Rachel, we might have when Friends star Jennifer Aniston was a telemarketer.
4. Nicolas Cage was destined for stardom from a young age—he started out serving up the popcorn at the local movie theater.
5. America’s sweetheart, Julia Roberts, was sweet long before she was landing leading roles—this pretty woman served up ice cream.
6. The ever-stylish Kanye West paid his fashion dues at the GAP.
7. Queen Latifah fit right in with the crowns and palace theme at Burger King.
8. Funnyman Jerry Seinfeld had a bright idea, selling light bulbs before ultimately having his own brilliant show.
9. Cyndi Lauper claims “girls just want to have fun,” but we can’t imagine how much fun she had emptying dog kennels way back when.
10. Tom Cruise was melting hearts before hitting the big screen, working as a bellhop at a hotel. We’d sure tip him well.
GIRL TALK TIME: What was your first job? What is your job now? Does your first job have anything to do with your job now? Share your humble beginnings!